Group Installation

 

I had no idea what this group project would like like, how we would work together, or what would happen. At first, the uncertainty was intimidating. Then, it was freeing. The first thing I did was nail plastic shopping bags to the wall with Rita, and stick flowers into them. Having taken a first step, the rest of the process came quite easily. 

I especially loved interacting with and adding to things that other people had made. For example, Charlie had begun bending small, decorative metal strips. Several of us also bend them. then, Rita nailed them to the wall and I stuck plant fronds through them. In this way, several bits of the installation started as one person creating something and others of us adding to the chaos.

Speaking of chaos, I believe that is how the front of the room operated. It was collaborative, sure, but chaos all the same. Things were mostly done on feeling, and for the sake of hilarity, which seems in-line with the many of the installation greats of old. I spent my time in this half of the room, so it was a fun surprise to poke my head into the back half of the room.

Video Description: The camera pans across part of the front half of the room. Classmates are tearing up paper and other random objects to add to the floor. The camera zooms in on a shopping bag nailed to the wall, then on a teapot that appears to be in rope bondage. 

Image description: Underwear hangs on the wall. Sharpie text next to it reads "these are mine <3" and "I took this from your mom"

The back half of the room seemed to nod at Oldenburg's "The Store". I was particularly charmed by the writing on the wall pictured below. Just... relatable. 



Image description: Sharpie text on book pages reads "$63,000 a year and I taped a fucking book on a fucking wall."

Over all this was a great experience! I really enjoyed making art as a class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Installation

Judy Chicago

Installation Proposal