Final Installation


 Video Description: Morgan spreads snow on top of two papers. They squirt several colors of paint haphazardly atop the snow. Dizzy, their 7 month old black labrador service dog in training, joins them near the sheets. their train a little on top of the snow, mixing the paint. Morgan wipes Dizzy's paws, and their feet. Several shots follow of the paint-filled snow melting onto the paper.

Coming into this class, I knew that I wanted to collaborate with Dizzy somehow. She is my second go at training a service dog for myself, and I am acutely aware of how much of my future rests on her ability to learn her job and enjoy doing it. This is not an experience that many people relate to, so expressing it through art feels very important to me.

I accomplished exactly what I wanted to in my concept post. Dizzy was a bit more interested in eating the snow than I anticipated, but such is the unpredictable nature of working with live animals. I am very pleased that the installation yielded not only a video documentation, but also two paper artifacts. They turned out better than I thought they would, and I would consider framing them if I ever felt like showing the video anywhere. 

Special thanks to Jamie, who I could not have done this without! She was so helpful throughout the entire process, from set-up, to filming, to clean-up. I am reminded how in the videos we watched of famous installation artists, there was almost always had a big crew helping to bring the art to life. I think we all need a little team for our big ideas, and I am very grateful that she was a part of mine for this one!

Comments

  1. Your final was soooo cool! The paintings are so beautiful, and knowing the meaning behind them really adds so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Judy Chicago

Installation Proposal